Tuesday, January 28, 2003

First Impressions: So... met the new boss yesterday. First impressions? I came in the office, she failed to make eye contact and did not say hello. Second impression? She called me Katie. I am never Katie. Okay, well, for maybe 3 people I am Katie, but they get special dispensations because they know me and they are just plain silly enough to be able to get away with it. People who do not know me never get to call me Katie. It's simply not done. Also, when I corrected her, she did not apologize.

This does not bode well. Perhaps I'm being difficult because I don't like the idea of working for a woman. Does that seem odd? Most of my upper level bosses are women, and that's fine. But to work directly for a woman doesn't sit well with me. Why is that? Maybe because men are generally more straightforward than women. Women bosses tend to have something to prove, whereas men tend to be more comfortable with the idea that they have a right to be in charge. I have a lot of people tell me that I think and act more like a man than a woman at work... and at other things, I guess. Why? I don't play games. I always say what I think. I don't take anything too personally... (Except someone disrespecting me by calling me by the diminutive without explicit permission).

I'm not overly interested in a power struggle, and I feel like the new boss lady sees me as a threat to whatever new things she wants to introduce. I'm not, I just want and deserve some respect because I do know my way around the place and I've outlasted 5 other co-managers. I've also trained 3 of those managers, and will no doubt be training the two new ones. Ignoring me and then getting my name wrong is not going to make that more pleasant for either of us.

To give her the benefit of the doubt, it was her first day -- she'd met about 50 other people and toured the property all day before she finally met me. I can understand if she were too tired or burnt to focus by that time. So we'll see how she does on her third impression. Can't wait. Right.

No comments: