Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Recovering: and why I love Jay

I look kind of like I'm wearing a tribal mask at the moment... yes, I'll post pictures eventually. The area around my eyes is very yellow, with purple stripes starting near my eyebrows including two that look like Nike swooshes under both eyes. Most interesting are the two green - yes, GREEN - stripes falling from the corners of my nose down to my chin. Those, I'm fairly certain, are new as of today.

I also have a small trio of bruises on the inside of my right elbow and a spectacular capsule-shaped bruise about 3 inches long on my left hand from the IV. I miss the pretty turquoise color they were two days ago. Alas.

We just got home from the follow-up appointment. Dude. They had some nastyass TUBES up my nose. And they had to YANK. Them. OUT. Motherfucker. So gross.

But the nose looks good - healing well, straight but swollen on the outside, and the inside evidently looks even better than the doc had hoped. So that's all good. And some day I might be able to scrape the last of the adhesive from my pores... so unsexy.

So Jay was a total rockstar for this whole thing. Went with me to the hospital and waited until I went in for surgery. He was there when I woke up and I think I only told him to fuck off once when he asked me where on the pain scale I was. He filled my meds and drove me home and stayed with me for the next 24 hours - the first night he got up every 2 hours to check on me. Got up during the night for the next two nights as well. Also entertained my niece, going way above and beyond the call of duty to make sure she had a good visit. All of this is made more impressive by the fact that he's in the final crunch days before his PhD defense. What a guy.

He has emptied countless bags of bloody tissues and made sure I had things I could eat. Even homemade applesauce - my favorite! So between him and my mother, I was well taken care of during the last five days. I'm still sleeping on the couch to protect my nose for the rest of the week, but good things are in his future if you know what I mean.

Anyway, I'm doing okay. Still in a bit of pain and definitely weak from lack of sleep and lack of regular meals. But starting to feel human again. yay.

No comments: