Friday, March 05, 2004

Ah ha!

After watching hundreds of parents come and talk with Juliette, something clicked in my head. She is a fantastic teacher, no doubt about it. However, she and I are VASTLY different people with very different personalitiies. Techniques that work for her don't--and may never--work for me in the classroom. I think the problem is that while she acknowledges (in theory) that different things might work better for me, she won't let me deviate from her system enough to try them.

Unfortunately, this pretty much sets me up for failure. However... next week I will be observing and talking with teachers at three other schools, as arranged by my University supervisor. He's been in to observe me a couple times and remarked that it looked like I felt stuck and maybe seeing what else was out there would give me a better sense of what was going on in French language teaching.

So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

No comments: