Thursday, March 04, 2004

Not such a great day, but...

So today was kind of sucky, not so much from a student point of view as from my cooperating teacher's pov. We reviewed briefly for the quiz--and from what I've seen so far, most people did very well. Then we returned to the group work that we had started on Tuesday. Mme Durst told me afterwards that I spent too much time on it and that it wasn't really actively engaging everyone. Okay... so what should I have done differently? "Well, I don't know. You have to plan group activities very carefully..." Unfortunately, that response doesn't tell me much.

Yesterday I mentioned that I wanted to work with a review of the passé composé tense. She told me not to spend too much time on it because they'd had it before. So I started in with a brief review. She stopped me immediately in class and told me to start over with just one type of verb (regular "-er" verbs) and just the ones conjugated with "avoir". Okay... no problem. I changed course and abandoned the prep that I had done for the class. Then she complained that I hadn't assigned homework over the long weekend. Hmmm. Well, I had a worksheet prepared, but since it was based on what I thought I was going to be covering, it would have been way over their heads.

I don't mind criticism if it's constructive... helpful... informative... Otherwise, it doesn't do anything but make me feel bad about what I've tried to do. Argh.

Argh. Argh. Argh. At least I have tomorrow off and can SLEEP! I'm so tired I can barely keep my eyes open anymore. And I still have another paper to finish for class tonight... and from class I get to rush to the second night of parent-teacher conferences.

The fun never ends, folks.

No comments: