Friday, March 11, 2005

Strike One

Looks like the New Hampshire option is a no-go. Jay heard back from the University and they offered the position to someone else -- more experience and an area of expertise not already represented by the current faculty were the reasons, I believe. Maybe I was a tad bit unsympathetic... but I was also a little disappointed. However, who gets the first job they apply for? Not me, that's for sure. Successful academic life doesn't really prepare one for the harsh realities of the job search. Job searches suckass. Either the job you want doesn't want you, or the job that does want you isn't your first choice, or even your fifth. But sometimes you get lucky. Just rarely on your first time at bat.

Anywho. So NH is not happening, and the Vermont option just doesn't seem like a good fit, personalitywise or specialtywise. We'll see what happens, but I'm thinking no. But that's totally okay, because I did my time in New England, and while there are many good things about it, sunshine, low humidity, and the ability to hike in Chacos are not among them. And I've really grown quite fond of all those things during my 6 years out west.

No comments: