Tuesday, May 24, 2005

This 'n' That

So, I'm still waiting. La dee da dee da. Sigh.

My surgery (septorhinoplasty with turbinate reduction) is coming up quickly - just 16 more days. I'm a little weirded out by that, since I've never had surgery of any kind before, unless you count stitches in my gashed up arm when I was 8... and I don't count that. But hopefully, after the misery of healing is done, I will be able to breathe through my nose in ways I have only dreamed of before now. That and it will be straighter, I guess.

I haven't been writing jack since March though... somehow trying to imagine what my life is going to be like next year is much more interesting than leading characters through twists and turns on the page. Been doing a little painting - finished up the bookshelf and made a nice big mirror. But I don't want to keep going, because anything I make, we are going to have to transport to Vermont. Better to wait until we are there. Mostly just been doing a lot of escapist reading.

Two of my Utah Writing Monkey crew happen to own/operate a POD (print on demand) publisher and further more happen to be the ones who handles Daniel Keys Moran's work. I discovered his writing when I was still in high school and have managed to collect several of his early books - the ones printed before he broke his contract with Big Publishing House. I like his characters and think he view of the future is interesting, if unlikely. He's the author of some of my favorite quotes.

But my friends have told me that he's a wee bit eccentric, and seeing the book they just gave me as a going away present, I believe them. He did everything himself - would not even let them supply the basic proofreading for typos - including choosing the cover... blue background, blue writing... While clearly talented, I think he's one of the authors that I've always been warned not to be. I haven't read the book yet - The Long Run - but we shall see what egomania has wrought.

Also, I usually don't bring cookies and shtuff like that home... usually I'll take it to school and leave it in my filing cabinet for when I want a snack... but this time, I figured maybe Jay learned something from the conversation that we had regarding nagging and eating habits (since it did include charts and graphs and whathaveyou). It appears not. If he calls me "Cookie Monster" one more time, he might be searching his abdominal cavity for the family jewels, of you know what I mean.

Love you, sweetie. (Or should that be "salty"?) Just don't make me have to open a can of WhoopAss on you.

No comments: