Monday, October 25, 2004

Naked, Screaming, and Dripping Wet

I think that's a line from a Bill Cosby routine, but I might be misquoting. Nonetheless, it seemed an appropriate intro for the next Kerri and Karlyn story. Heh heh.

So, as I mentioned before, K2 and K3 did pretty much everything together because Kerri didn't like to be alone and Karlyn didn't mind the company. When they were much younger - like 9 and 6 - they even used to shower together in my parents' shower-only bathroom downstairs. (The master bedroom is in the basement)

One Saturday afternoon, my mother and I heard an absolutely bloodcurdling scream echo up the stairs to the kitchen. It was followed by a different howl and then a second shriek from the first screamer. As we rushed down the stairs, Kerri raced out the bathroom door naked, screaming, and dripping wet. We snagged a towel from the linen closet to wrap around her and pushed into the bathroom. Karlyn was still in the shower, now cursing to herself. (Interesting vocab for a 9 year old, by the way) Further investigation revealed a steady stream of blood oozing down one leg.

It appears that Kerri had been frightened by a spider dropping over the shower curtain and into the shower stall. Naturally - for a 6 year old girl - she screamed. All would have been well except at that very moment Karlyn was using one of my dad's half-abandoned disposable razors to shave her legs for the first time. When Kerri screamed, Karlyn flinched, taking a chunk of skin out of her leg. Oops. Kerri, seeing the blood, screamed again, semi-convinced that she'd just killed her sister and still freaked out by the spider.

Damn... I don't think I can do that story justice. Just thinking about Kerri doing her little "Aaaaahhhhh!" dance and scream makes me laugh so hard the tears come to my eyes. And Karlyn being so...chagrined as being caught with the razor. Oh dear.

No comments: