Thursday, September 30, 2004

The things you can learn

Truly amazing the little details that come up at Parent-Teacher conferences. The trend in Utah is for kids to come with their parents to these meetings, though in practice, you see about half of the parents with their kids and half on their own.

So what did I learn?

Good things: most of the parents said that their child likes my class, a few mentioned how happy they were that I had alternate resources online for the kids to look up, only one of them accused me of giving a bad grade to their kid just because I didn't like them. (Actually, they hadn't handed in the last two homework assignments, taken the last quiz, or participated in any activities... THAT's why they have a D-... not JUST because I don't like him...)

Interesting things: One girl who sits in the back of the room and never seems to be paying attention is actually deaf in one ear... not sure why she didn't mention that BEFORE when I asked anyone with special seating needs to see me the first week of school...

Funny things: Four of the students who did come with their parents took the time to reassure me that I was doing a good job and not to worry about the obnoxious people in the class.

So I'll be heading back to school in an hour for the second night of P-T conferences. I only hope it's as interesting as yesterday.

No comments: